Re: Purpose of a hypervisor (was Re: rock solid)

On 07/03/07 20:53, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 06:22:46PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/03/07 13:25, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
Dom0: local file server (video, music, local backups)

    DomU1: firewall
I understand the need for a small, "separate" firewall.

    DomU2: dmz mail/imaps server
    DomU3: dmz apache server

the primary reason is as a testbed for me to learn stuff. It has the
nice feature of segmenting functionality without more machines
running.
But then you are trying to statically do (allocate CPU and RAM) what the kernel can do so much better.

What about that if his webserver gets hacked, then his mail server is
safe and vice versa?

If you own the web server, it's likely to be "easy" to crack other machines on the network.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA