Re: weird aptitude behavior

On 7/2/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
Run aptitude interactively (no parameters) and choose options.  It
sounds like you have the default aptitude behaviour of assuming that
'recommends' are hard dependancies.  I always turn that off.

I turned off recommends as dependencies with
Aptitude::Recommends-Important "false";
in /etc/apt/apt.conf
and when I aptitude -s install mediawiki I still get x11-common and
other unneeded x libs wanting to install...
I think there's a difference between the packages 'mediawiki' and
'mediawiki1.7' which seems weird to me as the dependencies for
mediawiki are lised as mediawiki1.7 and mediawiki1.7-math.
I wonder why all those other packages?

# aptitude -s install mediawiki
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
 perl-doc
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
 apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common defoma
file fontconfig-config
 gs-common gs-gpl gsfonts imagemagick libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1
libaprutil1 libexpat1
 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libice6 libjasper-1.701-1 libjpeg62
libkpathsea4 liblcms1
 libmagic1 libmagick9 libmysqlclient15off libpaper1 libpng12-0
libpoppler0c2 libpq4 libsm6
 libsqlite3-0 libt1-5 libtiff4 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxaw7
libxdmcp6 libxext6 libxml2
 libxmu6 libxpm4 libxt6 mediawiki1.7 mediawiki1.7-math mime-support
mysql-common php5 php5-cli
 php5-common php5-mysql tetex-base tetex-bin tex-common ttf-dejavu
ucf x11-common
 libkrb53
 apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common defoma
file fontconfig-config
 gs-common gs-gpl gsfonts imagemagick libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1
libaprutil1 libexpat1
 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libice6 libjasper-1.701-1 libjpeg62
libkpathsea4 liblcms1
 libmagic1 libmagick9 libmysqlclient15off libpaper1 libpng12-0
libpoppler0c2 libpq4 libsm6
 libsqlite3-0 libt1-5 libtiff4 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxaw7
libxdmcp6 libxext6 libxml2
 libxmu6 libxpm4 libxt6 mediawiki mediawiki1.7 mediawiki1.7-math
mime-support mysql-common
 php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-mysql tetex-base tetex-bin tex-common
ttf-dejavu ucf
 x11-common
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
 debconf-utils latex-cjk-all libft-perl libpaper-utils
libxml-parser-perl mysql-server
 mysql-server-5.0 perl-tk psfontmgr psutils tetex-doc tetex-extra xml-core
0 packages upgraded, 58 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 61.5MB of archives. After unpacking 170MB will be used.

--
A-la peanut butter sandwiches!
          - the Amazing Mumford