Re: restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

On 2007-06-28 15:17:45 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Change the 'auto eth0' line to 'allow-hotplug eth0' instead.  That
> triggers the dhcp to happen when the device becomes available.  That
> will probably workaround whatever problem you are experiencing.  The
> allow-hotplug is now the default in Etch.

This doesn't work. Probably a kernel problem then. I've reported
the bug.

> > How can I make pump (the DHCP client I'm using) to try again
> > periodically?
>
> I think it should already be trying again periodically.

It doesn't, even with 'allow-hotplug eth0'.

> Perhaps the timeout is very long. You might try dhcp3-client
> instead. I have had good luck with it.

I had problems with it in the past and users recommended pump
instead.

> > Note: When I'm in front of the machine, I still want to be able to
> > use it when the network is not available (to do some local work,
> > while waiting for the network to come back).
>
> Sure.  Laptops operate that way a lot!

I have a laptop and I've always had to start pump manually or invoke
netenv, depending on the context. Do they use 'allow-hotplug eth0'
without anything else?