hi. i think i may know

hi... i'm not a debian user, but a mandriva 2007 user. my wife's laptop keyboard quit working in X.  nothing would work. keys, caps lock, num lock... nothing. if i booted into failsafe mode, i.e. command-line with root,... no problem. if i booted up and went into x.... i could authenticate fine with user and password... but then, once in... keyboard dead.

like you... i thought xorg.conf . i have an identical laptop with the same os / kernal as my wife. same config. so... i got my xorg.conf file over to her laptop. that should work... NOT. so... i tried this.
* booted into failsafe mode ( command-line / root )
* created a new user ( via the useradd funtion )

restarted the laptop and logged in as the new user. that worked great! so... i figured it must be something that got torked up in the "home" directory of the user. i didn't dig in and find out exactiy what... just wanted to get it back working. so... i'd try the following.

* log into failsafe mode
* make a copy of the problem users home directory.
* delete the problem user
* recreate the problem user
* log in and test

if this works... you're set. there are alot of settings ( email stuff, documents etc ) that are in the user's home directory, so that's why i would make a copy. that way you can those items/config back over to the new account.

i hope this helps. i'm not a linux expert by any strech, but this worked for me. let me know how it goes.

jesse
jhgjr@satx.rr.com