Problem with compiling kernel

Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas about my post.  Let me give quick replies to the questions you asked me:

Manoj--yes, dpkg is in /usr/bin, and is in the user's path, but no normal user has execute access to dpkg:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/dpkg
-rwxr-x---  1 root root 174040 May 26  2005 /usr/bin/dpkg
I temporarily removed bastille from my system, thinking maybe that changed permissions on dpkg, but that didn't help.  Also, I tried dpkg-statoverride --list, but found no overrides on the permissions of dpkg.  So I'm now reasonably sure Debian comes with only root having access to dpkg, despite it being in /usr/bin.

John--yes I'm sure I have write access to the kernel source directory.

Hugo--I think the initrd flag isn't necessary IF your kernel includes everything needed to read your boot sector.  As for why I'm compiling the kernel/what changes I've made:  the main thing I trying to do is get ACPI (sleep mode) working on my desktop, so I twiddling the ACPI-related flags and unchecking everything for APM in my kernel configure.  Apart from that, just eliminating lots of modules for devices and filesystem types that I don't need, to make my kernel as small as possible (ASAP).  The duck sounds nice ;-), but I already have a picture of some water or something at boot time, done using a framebuffer hack, IIRC.

Andrew (and anyone else who can do a make-kpkg under a non-root account)--what permissions do YOU see when you say ls -l /usr/bin/root?

Thanks again,
Pizzapie

Linux A. Wannabe PizzaPie
embeddedanchovies@verizon.net.invalid
To email me please hold the anchovies and the .invalid.