Refresh rate & video play back 60Hz & 50Hz

I have video in both PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz formats, is it possible to get mplayer (or anything else) to automatically switch display refresh rates depending on source?

This was never an issue with my CRT, I just ran it at 120Hz, problem solved, but I think my sharp LCD TV should support 60Hz and 50Hz over DVI as I'm running 60Hz now but it's from a PAL region.

I have a Radeon 9250 (RV280) and a RADEON 9000 (RV250) on different machines and I'm using the Open source RADEON driver (xorg.conf has Driver "ati" specified but that loads RADION) and I'm running Etch with Xfce with everything stock from apt (except flash, eww I feel dirty now).

--
Garrr, do your bit for global warming, become a pirate, you can "borrow" my copy of Windows 95 if you want.