Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 22:31 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 22:02, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I have just those rules.  But what devices does it create in /dev?
> > > I have /dev/ptmx and a directory /dev/pts (with nothing in it).
> > > The directory is owned by root.root with access rights 755.  This
> > > maybe the problem - can you tell me what yours are.
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/ptmx
> > crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5, 2 2007-04-17 22:54 /dev/ptmx

> > > udev is running
> > > kernel is 2.6.20
> > >
> > > (I would normally go to a console and do a uname -r for you - but I
> > > am hobbled because I can only get to a console with CTL-ALT-F1, but
> > > then I can only get back if I restart kdm - because a bug in the
> > > i810 driver locks my machine solid if I try to come back via
> > > CTL-ALT-F7).
> >
> > For some versions of the i810 driver I have had to set
> >
> > Option "VBERestore" "true"
> >

> Tried that, only made things worse.  Can't even get to a console from my
> X screen now, let alone get back again.
>

> > in the "Device" section of xorg.conf to make the mode switching work.
> > (Currently it is commented out, but I am running the Xorg from
> > Experimental right now. I don't remember how it was with version 7.1)

One thing you may want to try, is using the Frame-Buffer setup for Xorg.
This may give you the ability to get the regular non-X consoles... and
back again. i810 has historically given me shits and fits. I have nearly
always ended up using the frame-buffer setup.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup