Re: How to set up Logitech Quickcam Chat in Debian Testing

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 21:08:03 +0000, David Dawson wrote:
>> Florian Kulzer wrote:

>> > That happens because udev should normally handle the device nodes
>> > automatically. What messages do you get if you start
>> >
>> > udevmonitor
>> >
>> > and then plug in the camera?
>> I get the following:
>> UEVENT[1176670280.086049] add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2
>> UEVENT[1176670280.086132]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/usbdev4.3_ep00
>> UEVENT[1176670280.089077]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0
>> UDEV  [1176670280.089077] add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2
>> UEVENT[1176670280.089137]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0/usbdev4.3_ep81
>> UEVENT[1176670280.089149] add@/class/usb_device/usbdev4.3
>> UDEV  [1176670280.124411]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/usbdev4.3_ep00
>> UDEV  [1176670280.127800]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0
>> UDEV  [1176670280.219247]
>> add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0/usbdev4.3_ep81
>> UDEV  [1176670280.260397] add@/class/usb_device/usbdev4.3
>
> So udev does create some device nodes but not /dev/video0. What happens
> if you symlink the device as /dev/video?
It doesn't create *any* video* device at all. My apps - camstream or
camorama wanted /dev/video0 and I think it was xawtv wanted /dev/video, but
I suppose that could be changed in the app setup for xawtv.

symlinking from /dev/.static/dev/video0 to /dev/video0 did not work.
there is a symlink /dev/.static/dev/video to video0, so I presume /dev/video
would be a symlink also if it existed.

> [ snip: purging hotplug has been taken care of ]
>
>> As a parenthetical note, I have an elcheapo webcam which is detected, the
>> module is loaded and the /dev/video0 device created just perfectly, so I
>> am sure udev is doing its job, in the case of that device
>
> Is there any difference in the output of udevmonitor when you plug in
> that camera?

I'm not sure. Maybe I can check the logs and find out. The Quickcam is
working (minimally) now and I'd like to keep on using it.

Thanks for your interest
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig.
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

-- Dave Dawson