Re: Realplayer doesn't play, reeally.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:32:53 -0400
Ed Jabbour <ejbr@comcast.net> wrote:

> In the last few days, Realplayer won't play any files in a browser.  At
> CSPAN, e.g., neither the embedded videos nor the standalone option will
> run.  Realplayer is called, but nothing happens.  Video at the BBC also
> will not play, either plugin or standalone.
>
> I thought maybe it was Firefox, but the problem recurs in Konqueror,
> Epiphany and Iceweasel.   Firefox has the following in about:config:
>
>  network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp  user set string  /usr/bin/realplay
>
> Also:
>
> [Mon Apr 16] edj:~$ locate nphelix
> /home/edj/.mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
> /home/edj/.mozilla/plugins/nphelix.xpt
> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt
> /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.xpt
> /usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/nphelix.so
> /usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/nphelix.xpt
> /usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/nphelix.so
> /usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/nphelix.xpt
>
> I thought, too, that maybe Realplayer somehow corrupted, so I purged and
> re-installed.  Same problem.  It's Realplayer 10 Gold installed from
> debian.multimedia.  If some library or other is missing, I'd have
> thought that the re-install would have brought it down.
>
> Any advice, pointers, guesses greatly appreciated.
>

> --

Just got MPlayer to play the Real Video sites you mentioned (CSPAN and
BBC) under AMD64 Etch!  I would suggest you try it.  There some
instructions here:

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/04/install-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss-in.html

I'm presuming you're using an X86 version of Debian as Realplayer for
Linux has only been released for X86 Linux.

regards,

Ananda