Re: Fetchmail Problems

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Michael Pobega wrote:

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 03:44:25PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 06:26:28PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
I'm having trouble fetching my mail with fetchmail. All it does it say:

9 messages for pobega@gmail.com at pop.gmail.com (36283 octets).
reading message pobega@gmail.com@gmail-pop.l.google.com:1 of 9 (2984
octets)..
fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:

fetchmail grabs the mail from POP and passes it to your MTA on
localhost using the loopback device (i think that's how it works) and
your MTA isn't answering on port 25.

Connection timed out.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
pobega@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com and delivering to SMTP host localhost
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
Press any key to continue...

I have no idea what could be wrong. As you can tell SMTP is working fine
(Under SSMTP), so I have no idea why fetchmail isn't working.

? I'm not sure what you mean here, but it looks to me like smtp is NOT
working on lo interface. Can you telnet port 25 and ge tit to respond?

Nope, even after setting lo (I had it commented out) it doesn't seem to
want to respond. I'm using getmail for now, but I can't figure out how
to get it to play nicely with procmail (I'm guessing this is another lo
problem?)

I've got getmail/procmail running, here is what I have in my getmailrc file that deals with procmail:

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail
arguments = ("-f", "%(sender)", "-m", "/home/jeffd/.procmailrc")
user = jeffd

works like a charm

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.