Re: Debian Etch LAMP - Continued :D

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 19:34 +0100, Steven Maddox (Architect) wrote:
> Hans wrote...
> -----------------------
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch
> -----------------------
> This looks nice really, but I need a version for after the thing is
> installed lol, I don't want to re-install it!
Please explain what you mean by this.  The above howto only takes you
through installing, with apt-get, all the essentials for a working LAMP
system.

>  - As for ISPConfig, it looks ok I guess, but I don't mind hearing
> other peoples experiences of control panels, not really heard of
> ISPConfig
As far as OSS ones go that's about as nice as it gets IMHO.  I say this
not only because I like the interface, but it's backend is also mostly
well thought through.

You have to install it from source, and getting it right takes a bit of
practise - the install script doesn't have a "back" option to correct
mistakes.  But once you've done it it's up and running, and to upgrade
it you follow the exact same procedure.

As far as commercial ones go, Plesk is probably the nicest from a user
perspective, but it's mail backend is really crap.  Firstly, it uses
qmail.  Secondly, by default it allows spammers to abuse it to send spam
(backscatter).

No offence meant to qmail fans :-)

Hans