Re: question - howto use postfix+reportbug in order to send bug reports to debian.org

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 23:54 +0530, shirish agarwal wrote:
> After installing reportbug, making my bug-report came to know further
> that it needs an MTA. Digging further came to know that there are only
> 2 , postfix & sendmail. As I am reading my mail on the web (Gmail)
> hence didn't no need to have an e-mail client (or MUA) hence became
> non-plussed.

An MTA isn't required for reportbug, see the --smtp* options in the
manpage. I'm guessing you should be able to send bug reports with
reportbug using the SMTP settings from gmail.

Also note that you can file bugs by sending mail to
submit@bugs.debian.org
See http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

> The main reason behind doing all this is there are not enough bug
> triagers around. Something like 30 for all the bugs which come around.
> So there is a possibility that such bugs do not get reported. Hence if
> we have a direct route to u guys it would make things that much more
> easier for all around.

I must say, I don't really see the use in filing bugs for Debian
packages if you are an Ubuntu user. Ubuntu makes their own adjustments,
have their own configuration, and the there are differences in versions
and so on.

Speaking from experience, bug triage is most about figuring out peoples
problems, reproducing them, and forwarding these reports to the upstream
developers (if its not in the package/configuration).

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson