Re: Soundcard issues

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 05:22:41PM -0400, Barry F Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:36:03AM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> > On 04/13/2007 03:50 AM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> > >

> > > 2007/4/12, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com <mailto:ralph.katz@rcn.com>>:
> >

> > >     I have the same issue for an isapnp soundcard on etch.  alsaconf sets it
> > >     up, writes to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, but even after alsactl store,
> > >     reboot requires re-doing the steps.
> > >
> > >     Anyone else?  Ideas?
> > >
> > >     Thanks,
> > >     Ralph
> > >

> > > Did you look at alsa-project web sites? Search specific tips for your
> > > card there, isapnp sound card require isapnp tools/packages to deal
> > > with. Have a look.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > raffaele
> >
> > I only see outdated stuff there, but thanks.  Besides, the sound card
> > works fine, alsa works fine, I just have to repeat the alsaconf steps
> > EACH reboot.  Update-modules after doing this didn't help either.
> > Nothing gets loaded at boot:
> >
> > ~$ grep -i alsa /var/log/boot
> > Sat Apr 14 11:15:50 2007: ^[[9;30]^[[14;30]Setting up ALSA...done (none
> > loaded).
> >
> > Very, very frustrating.  And when this is done, then I get to tackle
> > making esd (esound) work with alsa for mixing.
> >
> > You can tell I'm really ready to get past this etch upgrade.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralph
> >
> > --1e1c94ce6334cecf9b45d8dce1e521fb
>
> I had a similar problem when I upgraded to etch. I'm not sure if this was
> mentioned yet, but what I had to do was:
> 1. Run alsaconf
> 2. Run alsactl store
> 3. Add my soundcard kernel module in /etc/modules, so that the module would
> be loaded at boot. In my case I added the module snd_cs4236.
>
> I know that's frustrating - took me a few weeks before I had it figured
> out. Best of luck.
>
> Regards,
> Barry Smith

How do I figure out what the module name is for my sound card? I've
never really used modules besides my ipw3945 one, so I'm inexperienced
when it comes to them.

- --
 <o) Debian GNU/Linux - Free as in Freedom
 /\\ http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Debian site and blog
_\_V Window Maker user, Debian enthusiast, Mutt lover