kernel panic upgrading from 2.4.27 to 2.6.8 kernel related to initrd and devfs

Does anyone know how I can get around the following error?

VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev hda1
cramfs: wrong magic
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernal panic: Attempted to kill init!

When I ran LILO I got the warning below but it added the image anyway.
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure
Name change: '/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc' -> '/dev/hda'

I have procps installed but not devfsd or udev.  /dev/console is there after
boot and I tried mounting / on /mnt and it created /dev/concole as a c type
file there too.

The box started with a 2.2 or earlier kernel that I have upgraded over time to
Sarge.  etc/fstab and lilo.conf are identical to another box that is running
2.6.8 with no problems.

I'm just trying to install the stock 2.6.8 kernel image with initrdtools.

Thanks for any assistance.
Steve