applying the patch

I am quite new to compiling kernels although I believe I have it figured out .  My one problem is applying the patch.  I downloaded it from where it was mentioned above and renamed it to add-coretemp-driver.patch (which was its original name).  Then I put it in the same directory as my kernel source.  But I am cunfused as to the command to do the actual patching.  I tried:

patch -p1 add-coretemp-driver.patch

but all I get is a blinking curser under it and the terminal just sits there.
Any help for a newbie would be greatly appretiated.
Thank you.
-Luther