Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:18:33PM -0700, Dusty Wilson wrote:

> named = name-dee

same.

> pxe = pixie

same.

> Debian = deb-ee-inn

Debian is a portmanteau of Deb and Ian (Ian Murdock founded the Debian
project and Debra was his girlfriend, now wife).  So, Deb-Ian would be
correct.

> bind = bind, bin-dee, or ?

bind.

> lilo = lie-lo, lill-lo, lee-lo, or ?

First or third.  Never heard the second.

> SQL = ess-cue-ell or sequel

Sequel.  SQL was actually a successor to Prequel.  So, I think the
Sequel pronunciation is what the original developers intended.

> MySQL = My-ess-cue-ell (according to an old FAQ on MySQL's site)

Hmm, I usually pronounce it My-sequel.

> PostgreSQL = post-gress-cue-ell or ?

This one I usually pronounce as you have it listed.

> FAQ = eff-ay-cue or fak

the first

> etc = et-see

same.

> usr = user

same.  This is one and etc are the source of some confusion when I am
talking a newbie through something and I say "go to user bin blah".

> lib = lib or lieb (short vs long i)

short.

> proc = prock

same.

> init = inn-it

same.

> daemon = demon, day-mon, or ?

the second.

> kde = kay-dee-ee

same.

> gnu = new, guh-new, or ?

second.

> gnome = nome, guh-nome, or ?

second.

> vi = vee-aye or vye

first.

> passwd = password or pass-w-dee

second.

> irc = i-r-c, irk, or ?

first.

> Thanks for your help!  (...and I hope I don't inadvertently start a battle.
> :-)
Well, I think I have been the lightning rod lately.  But many people have
killfiled me, so I would be happy to hand off the torch, so to speak.
:-)

Regards,

-Roberto
--