Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:10:22 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote in
[🔎] 4601E58E.6040403@cox.net:

> On 03/21/07 20:21, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote: [snip]
>>
>>    The Taliban occupied 95% of the territory, called the Islamic
>>    Emirate of Afghanistan. The remaining 5% belonged to the rebel
>>    forces constituting the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, which the
>>    United Nations had recognized as the official government in exile.
>>
>> So, the Taliban was only the legitimate government in the sense that
>> they declared themselves to be so.  Nobody, outside of Pakistan and at
>> at some point SA and UAE, recognized them as the legitimate government.
>> So tell me again, how are insurgents lawful combatants?
>
> 95% seems pretty much de-facto control of the country to me!

..Norway had 0% of Continental Norway from June 7'th 1940 thru
1944, when the Soviet Union pushed the Nazis back across the Norwegian
border, even then the Germans made a major effort to round up Norwegians
for evacuation away from the war zone up North in Norway, before torching
it off and retreating.

> But... they weren't in uniform.  (Did the IEA even *have* an Army?)

..define "uniform" under the Conventions.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: