Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 09:32 -0500, Tarek Soliman wrote:
> > I just remember that expertise often doesn't
> > carry over to areas outside of one's core competence.
> >

> Like say, social skills.
> It seems that in pursuit of knowledge, one hits a wall where one cannot
> aquire more knowledge quickly without sacrificing social skills.
>
> Not to say all dorks are super-geeks, just that being a genius sometimes
> comes with some eccentricitieities.

Social Skills == The BANE of any truly skillful
Generalist/Admin/Analyst.

I fall into this category, I see things far to broadly and consider it a
curse for long term employment.

I implemented Linux at work for a mail server in 1995. I was eventually
fired for trying to move the entire back-end into this "Shareware
thing".

Funny thing is, they called me 3 years ago, to ask if I was still doing
Linux. I said yes, they offered to pay for consulting time to convert
them to a complete setup Linux backend systems. For all sites and
firewalls and VPN and VOIP with Voicemail... lotsa fun.

They now owe me $60K and are 390+ days in arrears. 1.25% penalty per
month after terms of 90 days... (plus the 3 months of terms) it is
adding up quickly and I have filed for collections. I gave incentive to
the collections company, all monies over $60K is theirs. So far, $10,515
in penalty.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup