Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> On  8 Mar, Steve Lamb wrote:
>      It is according to the US constitution.  How well we are doing it
> is another question.

    I'm sorry, but have you even read it?  I doubt it, most people haven't.

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
the people.

    Furthermore the Constitution only mentions "general welfare" twice.  Once
in the preamble and once in what powers it delegates to Congress.  In the
section that it delegates to Congress it is again used as a preamble for what
specifically Congress can and cannot tax.  Guess what isn't on the list?
Interstate commerce, international policy, coining money and a whole lot to do
with the military and militias.  That's it.

    Strict interpretation is that, no, the power for universal health care was
not delegated to the Federal Government in any way so it is not its business
to get into it.

>      And how do you know the extent to which I think the government
> should should perform this function?  I don't believe that I ever stated
> that on this list.

    Doesn't much matter if you think that it is a proper function of
government given the above.  That you have said on this list.