Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:25:38PM -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
>> On  8 Mar, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
>>
>> > response to sick patients?  The first is impossible as they already
>> > have 100% of the market, the second already a problem they are aren't
>> > responding to now.
>> >

>>     I've heard that the Canadian government is trying to address the
>> delays in the system, which are, IIRC, mostly for elective procedures.
>> I have no idea how well they're succeeding.
>>
> Well, IIRC, the Canadian healthcare system classifies many things which
> are generally not considered to be elective as elective procedures (like
> total hip replacement).  Someone else already posted the numbers in this
> thread, but IIRC the average wait is like 4 weeks in the US and 18 or 24
> months in Canada.

And you spend the rest of your life paying it off in the US.  Everybody
needs healthcare, it's better to cover everyone and strive to make it
efficient.  It's in everyone's best interest to live in a healthy society
with economically accessable healthcare.  A healthy society is more
productive society, thus it's even in government's self-interest to provide
health coverage:  Productive people make more money than the persistently
sick or injured.