Re: Migrating system to RAID-1/LVM

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 10:32:55AM -0500, David Bruce wrote:
> As a result of reiserfs corruption, I'm moving my system to ext3 (or maybe
> JFS - haven't decided for sure).  I previously had a RAID-1/LVM setup on hda
> and hdc, and the corruption occurred in my /home but nothing was lost.
>
> I have put a new disk in hdb and moved everything there with ddrescue - the
> system now boots off the new disk without using hda or hdc. Also, all the
> reiserfs partitions on the new disk are OK by fsck.  The installation has
> separate partitions for /, /boot, /var, /tmp, /usr, and /home.
>
> I want to redo and un-cruft the hda/hdc RAID1/LVM installation.  My thought is
> to do a clean install onto the disks with the etch installer.
>
> My question is how to best get my data from the hdb install onto the new
> hda/hdc RAID install.  /home should be easy (I think using tar... | cd
> tar ...).  As far as the other partitions are concerned, can I just copy them
> over with the 'tar' method ?  I am mostly worried about clobbering the
> settings for RAID and LVM in the new system.
>
> If I don't do a straight copy of my partitions other than /home, how can I at
> least get the same apt packages installed? Also, there are of course a lot of
> settings in /etc that I would like to keep - is there a simple way to
> bring /etc over without messing up the settings for raid and lvm?

I would think that 'rsync -a' would be better than tar.  Also, I would
boot a LiveCD (unfurtonately, Knoppix does not have RAID or LVM support,
IIRC) and do it from there that way you can keep all your partitions
unmounted unil you are ready for them and you do not risk further
corruption by moving stuff over from a running system, as would be the
case if you had some sort of database running.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez