Re: Media player

Hi Antony,

On 12/1/06, Antony Gelberg <antony@wayforth.co.uk> wrote:
Brian Durant wrote:

> So, now that this problem is solved, I still need to deal with the
> original issue I posted about, which succinctly put is that I am a
> newbie mucking around trying to get all of the multimedia goodies
> installed. I have Helix and I have installed the w32codex, gstreamer,
> etc. However, Either I haven't installed everything or I have
> installed something that I shouldn't have.
>
> I get the following from the gnome-cd player:
>
> Error playing CD.
>
> Reason: Resource busy or not available.
>
> Goobox can't even find the CD (plus sometimes quits as soon as it
> starts) and Rythmbox and VLC refuse to play any audio files,
> regardless of whether they are .ogg, .mp3, etc.
>
> I thought I was just following the process for get multimedia to work,
> but there is definitely something not right here. Any ideas?

Yes, make sure that your user is in the audio and cdrom groups.  Have
you read this?  http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ

I hadn't seen it before, but now that I have glanced at it, I don't
believe it has relevance for me as my system sounds work and until I
started trying to get .mp3 working, both Rythmbox, Goobox, etc. worked
fine, but could only rip .ogg files.

When I run Goobox from terminal, I get the following, unfortunately as
a newbie, It could just as easily be Greek:

$ goobox
  $1 =
  $1 =
  $2 =
  $3 =
  $4 =

** (goobox:4805): WARNING **: No GConf default audio sink key and
osssink doesn't work

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_bin_add_many: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_link_many: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_2)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_query: assertion
`GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_query: assertion
`GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_convert: assertion
`GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed

(goobox:4805): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(goobox:4805): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

** (goobox:4805): CRITICAL **: cddb_slave_client_query: assertion
`discid != NULL' failed
[...]

Segmentation fault

Rhythmbox is silent as the grave.

GNOME CD Player, likewise.

NB Automatix is quite well known for breaking stuff.

I have only heard positive things about both EasyUbuntu and Automatix,
but maybe only from people that haven't tried it themselves???

Cheers,

Brian