Re: Etch status..?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 08:37:52PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 08:21:25PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >

> > I did the etch upgrade following the sarge install using apt-get and
> > then installed half a dozen apps, Xorg, and the 2.6.8 and 2.6.17
> > kernels using aptitude.
> >
> > Sounds like I'll have to start over and stick to one or the other.
>
> No, just start using aptitude, stop using apt-get, and go manually
> through the list of packages from within aptitude, determine if they're
> ones you want, they depend on packages installed, or they're cruft.

The big difference with aptitude is that it remembers which packages you
explicitly requested.  And it cleans up packages that are no longer
needed bases on this knowledge.  So if you installed something without
aptitude it may decide that it's not needed any more and decide to
delete it.  Therefore, use apritude interactively and *always* look
through the packages it proposes to delete.  If you want one of them,
it's very easy to stop the deletion -- just explicitly requset it!

Otherwise, aptitude uses the same underlying package management tools as
apt-get.

-- hendrik