Re: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:40:16AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Wouldn't the new way be the old way.  I often say that the problems that
> Microsoft is "solving" with Windows now were solved 20+ years ago under the
> Unix(-like) tools.  Prime example would be remote desktops.  Windows only
> recently, after how many decades of it being out, grasped that maybe people
> want to log in from a remote location?  How long has XWindows been out doing
> just that?  ;)

I took an operating systems class a few years ago as part of my
undergrad program.  The professor was an older gentleman who had worked
at AT&T Bell Labs at the time that UNIX was first being developed.  He
didn't work on the project, but he said that he knew Thompson and
Richie as they worked in the same facility.

Anyhow, he said that most amusing thing about Microsoft was that they
are just getting around now to solving the problems that UNIX solved 20
years ago or more and still managing to make new mistakes in the
process.

Regards,

-Roberto

--