Re: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 12:52 +0000, Joe wrote:
[...snip...]
> The Windows command line, especially on servers, has come a long way
> from DOS, it can read and write files, it can pipe, it can control
> complex permissions and other Active Directory features... but it
> still doesn't have the large range of small and simple *nix commands
> which make it possible to build complex tasks quickly. This encourages
> stored scripts for specific tasks rather than on-the-fly problem-
> solving.

Joe, for that reason I have always suggested and done Cygwin
installations. It allows for the *nix commands. Does present much of the
ability. There are many other things that can be installed on a Windows
machine that allows for many things that are missing on them... as a
"Stock" Windows machine.

Personally, though I shy away from Windows anymore. I don't like to deal
with Blown Registry issues. And by far those are the biggest issues I am
seeing now, and it HURTS.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is