Re: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

I'm not a windows guy, so I am not sure about scripting.  Perhaps there
is a way as you suggest, but all of the windows admins I personally know
are only able to get around in the GUI.  The concept of scripting
anything is foreign to them.

Not exactly foreign, as many essential admin tools are command-line
only, or at least easier to do from the command line than elsewhere.
Ipconfig returns the same kind of data as ifconfig, and also allows
some DNS and DHCP cache control. Ping, traceroute and nslookup are
all there, and not really easy to do any other way. There will be
nobody claiming any level of Windows admin skill who is unfamiliar
with a command prompt.

The Windows command line, especially on servers, has come a long way
from DOS, it can read and write files, it can pipe, it can control
complex permissions and other Active Directory features... but it
still doesn't have the large range of small and simple *nix commands
which make it possible to build complex tasks quickly. This encourages
stored scripts for specific tasks rather than on-the-fly problem-
solving.