Re: cannot ping my own machine

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 04:47:13PM -0800, schmity wrote:
> Ok, newbie here so go easy on me.
>
> In general, what type of files would I expect to find in the /etc
> directory?  How would I have known to look in the /etc directory for
> the hosts file?

/etc GENERALLY contains system-wide configuration files.

/bin contains system binaries
/sbin contains super-user binaries
/usr contains user installed packages
/etc system wide configs
/var highly variable files that persist over reboot
/tmp highly variable files that do not persist over reboot
/home home

that's how I think about it, though there IS a specific hierarchy to
the file system that most distros generally adhere to.

where you'd find that I don't know, but there are several online
tutorials for linux newbs that you might check out.