Re: A Question About Aptitude

"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> writes:
> I think you need to take a closer look at synaptic; or perhaps you have
> formed your opinion strictly on the basis of hearsay.

No, I tried to use synaptic (I like bling as much as anyone), and gave
up after a while.

> Synaptic is aware of dependencies.

I'm not talking about dependencies (of course every debian package
manager is aware of those), I'm talking about aptitude's tracking of
which packages are "automatically" installed, so it can later
automatically remove them when they are not needed anymore.

This is a feature which really should be part of the base apt
libraries, but for whatever reason is not yet.

> I began running Debian at the time Potato was released, so I
> personally have used all the package managers.  I recommend synaptic,
> without reservation, for both tyro and guru.

I'm sure you do.

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia