Re: Debian on an Asus A6JM laptop

Firas Kraiem wrote:
Hi folks :)

So that's, I've installed Debian on my Asus A6JM laptop and some things just don't work, most importantly the NIC and the video. The NIC is a Realtek 8168 Gigabyte and the video crd is an nvidia GeForce Go 7600.

Both of them work fine in Ubuntu - I know Ubuntu is not Debian but surely if they work in Ubuntu it should be possible to get them working in Debian.

I've tried both Sarge and Etch with the same results. Using a 2.6 kernel in either leads to a funny thing, the system detecs a NIC but it is unusable.

About the video, the main problem is the resolution, I'm stuck at 1024x768 while my laptop panel is 1280x800. I've tried installing the nvidia drivers but then I get the classic "No screens found" error on X startup, which also confuses me since the drivers work perfectly on my hardware in Ubuntu.

The driver from the nvidia site?