Re: A Question About Aptitude

* Clive Menzies (clive@clivemenzies.co.uk) wrote:

> When you 'aptitude upgrade' aptitude will upgrade those packages for
> which all the dependencies are resolved and won't break anything.  When
> you use aptitude interactively and press 'U', you will see every package
> that can be upgraded to a higher version.  However, it will also alert
> you to any 'broken' packages due to dependency problems and gives
> suggestions as to how to resolve them.

Hmmm.  Sounds like perhaps 'aptitude upgrade' is a little safer for
the newbie.  Would you agree?  I think I will stick with that for now,
and perhaps start using the UI for installing individual packages as I
find I need them.

> As a matter of course, you should install apt-listbugs so that you will
> be warned of any bugs that could cause you a problem.

Yes, I need to do that.  I tried a while back when it and listchanges
were recommended, but listbugs would not install.  Something about it
not being on the server.  I will definitely try again now that I am
thinking of it.  BTW, with listchanges I get a screen of information
after downloading of the packages is done, and then I receive an
email.  Will that work similarly, and apt-listbugs as well, if I were
to use the UI?  Just a curiosity for possible future reference.

Thanks,

Patrick