Re: Log File Permissions Issue

On 11/2/06, Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 01:39:44PM +1100, Duncan McDonald wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently installed Awstats on my machine (running Sarge) and everything
> seems to be working except that it seems to have trouble accessing the
> Apache log files.
>
> As my log files belong to root and the group 'adm', when the Awstats
> generation script is run by 'www-data' it triggers a "permission denied"
> error. I've managed to get it running by changing the ownership of the logs
> to www-data, but of course when a new log file is created it reverts to
> root ownership.
>
> Is there a way to grant access for all log files to www-data or should I
> run the Awstats script as root?

I don't know the correct answer but what would happen if you added
'www-data' to group adm?  All group adm (admin) can do is read log
files.  Review the debian policy manual for this.  At least this change
is easily reverted.

Perhaps someone who runs apache and awstats has a better answer. Perhaps
this is a bug in either awstats or apache so you may want to search the
bug lists for these packages on the debian website.

Doug.

I seem to recall once having a similar problem with Snort / ACID [0].
I believe I had to do something like Doug's suggestion.

Celejar

[0] http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rdanyliw/snort/snortacid.html