compiling programs in debian way

Dear list,

I am running sarge, and I am going to compile a program which is not in
sarge but in testing. I have downloaded the source file together with
the *.diff file from the ftp.debian.org site. I have installed all the
required *-dev dependences (the sarge version of them) too. I would like
to learn about the steps in order to make a deb package of the program,
in particular, how to deal with the *.diff file. Where can I find a
"compiling programs in debian way for dummies" reference?

Thanks in advance for the help

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini