Re: erading MS word files

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 07:08:54PM +0100, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 11:40 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > Or perhaps a .dvi file? :-)
> >
> > Might be a bit unhandy because the dvi files do not include embedded
> > graphics. Anyway, it should be perfectly OK to send out an OASIS Open
> > Document file. If people do not want to (or cannot) install a program to
> > read the file, then they can easily look up the specification on the
> > web, uncompress the document and parse the XML directly themselves,
> > right?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >           Florian
> >
> Hey, you are more evil than I am!
>
> I like this community.
> --
Hi Nyizsnyik,
many folks use windows, using MS word on windows does not require that
you save documents as .doc format and allows using rtf or ascii. If
folks did this, we would not be required to go through hoops to exchange
files. So by using .doc, it requires us to go through hoops, so asking
someone to get a free and libre program that can read and write an open
format is a more 'social' and 'friendly' thing to do than to ask us to
support closed-source proprietary formats that do not act similarly
social. I think it is 'evil' but not evil.
cheers,
Kev