Re: Window managers-which one?

On 11/1/06, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Precisely!  The last two that I actually used were kcalc and kate.  They
have been replaced by galculator and SciTE and I am quite happy about
it.  Nothing left to start up artsd and interfere with my sound, or to
startup a million kdeinit processes.  Removing libartsc0 did a
marvellous job of eliminating kde and its apps from my box.

It seems to me like the KDE processes used to not go away, but now
they do. For example, I closed Amarok (only kde app I had running)
less that a minute ago and all the kde processes are now gone
(without killing them manually).

As for arts, yeah, it sucks (waiting for kde 4 and phonon...). My solution
was to disable the sound system in the kde control center, and then
remove the "arts" package. I left the libarts packages, because some
programs depend on them, but without artsd, libarts can't hurt anything.

Of course, if you can manage without any kde apps, that's great, but I
need my Amarok, and occasionally kword, kivio, krita, ksnapshot and
konq.

Cheers,
Kelly