Re: laptop display (CORRECTION!)

Mark Grieveson(dg135@torfree.net) is reported to have said:

> >I just finished setting up 2 Thinkpad 770's.  It took a lot of
> >googleing to get a working system running.
> >
> >You did not mention which kernel you are running, or which boot
> >loader, and that matters. ...
> >

> >If you put vga=0x305 in your grub/lilo setup you can get 1024x768 in
> >kernel-inage-2.6.8.
> >ie: in Grub
> >kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8y root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x305 ro
> >
> > :-)  HTH, YMMV, HAND  :-)
> >
> >Wayne
> Hi Wayne.  Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try that.  I'm using Etch;
> so, I think the image is now 2.6.17.

I'm also running etch.

Interesting.  I could not get a 2.6 kernel to load over 2.6.8.  It
failed with a "pivot_root missing" error.  I was able it check the
770's out with Knoppix 3.[4-7] but not with any higher versions as the
kernels were 2.6.11 and up IIRC.  Just tried Knoppix 5.0.1 and it
fails.  Guess the hardware is just too old.

Just in case you are still having problems with X at 1024x768, check
your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or xorg.conf if you have gone that far)
the HorizSync should be 31.5-57 and VertRefresh is 50-90. I also
notice and option 'Option   "DPMS"' in the Monitor Section.  I have
not had problems with the display using a color depth of 16.

I only have one HD but have found that I can boot the 770 without one
if I put in a dead battery and a cd drive.  Somehow that allows a disk
to boot.  So don't throw away those dead batteries!  :-)

Take care.

Wayne

--
The problem with program verifiers is that they tend to cheat at toy
problems in order to get results.