Re: xterm, mutt, emacs -nw, and utf-8

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:45:26AM +0100, Anders Lennartsson wrote:
> On 2006-11-01 02:53:28 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > See http://www.vinc17.org/mutt/ (there's a section on Emacs for Mutt).
>
> Thanks. There was some information that provided a major step forward.
> Emacs started in -nw mode now understands my keyboard.
>
> New messages now works nicely it seems. But replying to old messages
> with possibly different encodings seems to mess things up a bit. In
> some cases emacs does not start with the correct encoding, and seems
> to refuse to change.

Somewhere emacs keeps a hidden file with a list of just about everyting
it has edited with information about these files -- such as what
character encoding they use.  There's some mechanism to tell it to
change a file  from an old encoding to a new one.  It doesn't seem to
look at the file  an guess if it already has the info in this file-type
database.

-- hendrik