Boot frozen due to swapped USB cables (Debian/stable)

After I inadvertently swapped two USB cables behind my parents'
machine, the boot was freezing under Linux (Debian/stable); no
problem under MS Windows, though.

A first freeze was due to the discover1 package, just after the
following line was printed:

Detecting hardware: open_sock(): No such device

A Ctrl-C allowed the boot to continue. A second freeze was due to
hotplug and was much more a problem. It occurred just after:

Starting hotplug subsystem:
   pci
     [...]
   pci      [success]
   usb

But here a Ctrl-C had no effect. I had to reboot the machine with
the kernel arguments "rw init=/bin/sh" to disable USB hotplug...
until I found that this was due to the fact that I swapped the USB
cables.

First, is it normal that hotplug didn't react to Ctrl-C?
And what about the freeze due to the swapped USB cables?
(I repeat that Windows didn't have a problem with this.)