Re: Classic Gnubie accident

Andrei Popescu wrote:
anthony <mailinganthony@googlemail.com> wrote:

So, happy as I am that you guys found an excuse to chat about your
respective girlfriends here, I think mine would prefer I talked to her
a bit rather than staring at a screen uttering expletives, so I took
the easy route, made another user, transferred the settings and files
over from /home/anthony . Now I can startx and even check my mail!
However,

I'd like to know what exactly happened and perhaps to get my user
(anthony) and my settings back iat some point so, what should the
permissions be for all the settings (invisible) files in my home
directory /anthony/home ? Are they each different?

Many seem to be

-rw-r--r-- (644)

but there are exceptions

-rw------- (600) .dmrc

I would suggest you set all to 644 and then try each program to see if
it works. If it doesn't then start digging through the man. For
example .mailfilter (for maildrop) has to be 600.

Perhaps all that really needs to be done, is to rename ".dmrc"
and let it be recreated automatically. Certainly less apt to
create other probloems than the one. Would be worth a try.

begin:vcard
fn:W Paul Mills
n:Mills;W Paul
org:The Mills Chaos In The USA