Re: Email programs that work.

Hello Dimitry,

Am 2006-09-01 15:09:07, schrieb Dmitri Minaev:

> Dear Michelle,

> Still, there are some unpleasant problems I couldn't solve. The worst
> one was that Mutt downloads the whole message. That is, it does not
> support selective retrieval of MIME parts, AFAIU.

I do not know one single IMAP client which can do this...
Even under <brr>Windows</brr>

> Also, I haven't found a way to define new message flags (besides
> 'important'). And Mutt's address book really depressed me :/

I use my PostgreSQL  :-(=)

> There are some things I don't understand about IMAP search in Mutt,
> but I didn't explore it extensively enough.

If you search IMAP, you must prefix "="

> This is generally correct, but how do you manage your filtering
> settings when your mail server is on a remote server, which is almost
> always the case with IMAP?

1)  courier with webinterface?
2)  scp and an editor?

3)  OK, I am coding a tool named "tdmuttcourier"
    which do this remotly over SSH...

> Modular approach has its advantages, but it leads to certain
> difficulties with too loosely coupled programs. Say, if we 'outsource'
> mail-related tasks like filtering, storing address book, message
> composition, etc., to other programs, we need a way to control and
> configure these tasks. I would prefer to use one place to control all
> these related tasks. Preferably, it should be done in the mail client.

<Ctrl>F      opens my "tdmuttsettings"
             (alpha phaseand under heavy construction)

<Ctrl>a     open the Addressbook (PostgreSQL)

> I don't think this thread is a suitable place to discuss inflammable
> topics, like where the Unix way leads to (although I would like to

:-)

Talking about $WM, $MUA or $EDITOR ends always in a flamewar...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)