Re: Re: gdm fails after 3.1r2 desktop install

(1) I had used tasksel to do the installation, selecting desktop only.

(2) from apt-get -s -V install x-window-system:

-----

stdout:

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  x-window-system: Depends: xprt-xprintorg but it is not installable

stderr:

E: Broken packages

-----

I have done further testing and it turns out that I may have needed only the X server. Installing xserver-xfree86 got me past my original problem, which was that gdm could not find a server. Now I'm trying to figure out why that one crashes, but I've got some ideas.

Thanks!
PH

-----

John Miller wrote:

Can you run tasksel?  That would be a painless way to get all the
packages you need.

The point of apt is to resolve dependencies, though, so if
xprt-xprintorg is really necessary for x-window-system, it should come
along for the ride.  If your /etc/apt/sources.list file only has a CD
for its source, though, that could be a problem.

Can you send us the output of 'apt-get install x-window-system' ?  That
would be helpful in solving your problem.

--John