Re: aptitude uncomprehension

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:19:29AM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> [...]
> >     Reading extended state information
> >     Initializing package states... Done
> >     Reading task descriptions... Done
> > obsdw14:~# aptitude install  -R fai
> >     Reading Package Lists... Done
> >     Building Dependency Tree
> >     Reading extended state information
> >     Initializing package states... Done
> >     Reading task descriptions... Done
> >     The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
> >       akode altgcc aspell-en build-essential cdrdao dia dia-common dia-libs
> >       digikamimageplugins eject esound-clients fam gimp-help-en gimp-svg
> >       gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gstreamer0.8-a52dec gstreamer0.8-aa
> >       gstreamer0.8-caca gstreamer0.8-cdparanoia gstreamer0.8-dv
> >       gstreamer0.8-dvd gstreamer0.8-festival gstreamer0.8-gnomevfs
> >       gstreamer0.8-gsm gstreamer0.8-hermes gstreamer0.8-jpeg
> >       gstreamer0.8-mikmod gstreamer0.8-mpeg2dec gstreamer0.8-plugins
> >       gstreamer0.8-sdl gstreamer0.8-sid gstreamer0.8-speex gstreamer0.8-swfdec
> >       gstreamer0.8-theora gstreamer0.8-x gthumb gtk-engines-industrial
> >       gtk-engines-smooth gtk-smooth-themes hermes1 imagemagick jackd
> >       kde-i18n-de kde-i18n-fr kde-i18n-it kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
> >       kdevelop3-doc kdvi kghostview khelpcenter kipi-plugins kregexpeditor
> >       kviewshell ldso libadns1-bin libatk1.0-data libavc1394-0 libbz2-dev libc5
> >       libc5-altdev libcdio3 libcompress-zlib-perl libdigest-hmac-perl
> >       libdigest-sha1-perl libdv-bin libdv4 libft-perl libgdk-pixbuf2
> >       libglib2.0-data libgsm1 libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
> >       libieee1284-3 libiso9660-3 libjpeg-progs libkcddb1 libkscan1 libmagick++6
> >       libmail-sendmail-perl libnet-dns-perl liboggflac1 liboil0.3
> >       libpaper-utils libpcre3-dev libpstoedit0 libqt3-compat-headers
> >       libreadline5-dev librsvg2-bin libsamplerate0 libsane libsasl2-modules
> >       libsidplay1-c102 libsndfile1 libsvga1 libswfdec0.3 libtool libttf2
> >       libvcdinfo0 libwmf-bin libwxgtk2.4-python locales lzop miscfiles
> >       nautilus-cd-burner openoffice.org-mimelnk perl-doc perl-suid perlmagick
> >       psfontmgr pstoedit psutils python-imaging python-profiler python-xml
> >       python2.3-f2py python2.3-iconvcodec python2.3-xml r-base-dev r-base-html
> >       r-base-latex refblas3-dev resolvconf samba-common sane-utils sharutils
> >       sketch smbclient spamassassin spamc tetex-doc texi2html ttf-thryomanes
> >       unzip vcdimager videolan-doc x-ttcidfont-conf xfonts-konsole xli
> >     The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >       fai
> >     The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
> >       bootp dhcp3-server fai-kernels rsh-server syslinux tftpd tftpd-hpa
> >     0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 139 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> >     Need to get 597kB of archives. After unpacking 326MB will be freed.
> >     Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
> >
> > why do suddenly I get such kind of behaviour.
> > it's getting me nuts.
> >
> > I'm wanting to install fai without the recomended package. Because this machines was installed
> > with fai. I specified to use aptitude as the system to install package with fai.

this is a freshly install workstation. It was install with the Fully Automatic Installer (fai).
In the configurations files of fai, I explicitely said that it must use aptitude as the default
installer. This will ensure that the data of aptitude are consistent (I hope so).

> > does some one know understand this ?
>
> it is possible that those packages have been marked as 'automatically
> installed' by aptitude and aptitude sees that no other packages are
> depending on them so it is automatically cleaning up.
>
> run aptitude in the console and hit enter on a package that is marked
> for removal and see if it has a 'A' by it and also if there are any
> packages that are installed that depend on it.
>
> -matt zagrabelny

that I understand. But what I don't is:
- how come such situation can happen, when I always used aptitude ?
- why after a aptitude update; aptitude upgrade; aptitude dist-upgrade
  it does not notify my that there is a situtation where such packages
  need to be removed ?
- why do I get after a:
  aptitude install fai, it just install me fai and the recommended packages,
  and that a install -R fai, tells me that all this packages have to be removed ?

Moreover, I'm searching for a tool to navigate easily the packages depedencies
back and forward. eg.
- which packages are needed to install a package.
- which package served to other one.
(I know that I have difficulties to express myself).
to see the depedencies and to go up and down in it.

Cedric