Re: aptitude --target target sarge xxx doesn't limit to sarge

Paul E Condon wrote:

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:47:45PM -0500, Daniel B. wrote:

Paul E Condon wrote:
I think apt does not recognize "sarge" or "woody" or "etch" etc.

... why?  ...
I think it is a design flaw, more than an implementation bug.

Why does it seem to be a design flaw?  (What makes it seem to be
bigger, or harder to fix, than just an implementation bug?)

> Speaking
from the outside of Debian, it seems that the 'design' of apt grew
over time.  Whether 'stable' is an alias for 'sarge' or 'sarge' is an
alias for 'stable' is a big deal in a 'well designed' system, but this
issue seems not to have been resolved as apt was implemented. Now to
'fix' it would involve major rewrite ...

What about APT suggests that the rewrite would be major?

Thanks,
Daniel