Re: gstreamer, esd, arts, and other black magic

On 3/4/06, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:55:58AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On 3/3/06, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
> > > I've never used esd or arts since I switched my desktop to Debian about a
> > > year ago.  I've always used just plain ALSA, and it's always worked great.
> > > For GNOME, you can use GConf to set the outputsink to use the alsasink, and
> > > in KDE you can simply select it in kcontrol.  I really don't know what
> > > Firefox uses, or how it decides, but I've never had to change anything on
> > > it.
> >
> > I always use plain Alsa as well, since I use fluxbox instead of KDE or Gnome.
> > Firefox does not have anything to do with sound directly, the plugins
> > handle that, and they will usually use whatever has been configured
> > for the desktop.
> >
> > GStreamer is going to replace esd and probably arts as well (I don't
> > think they have a final decision yet). I don't know how good 0.10
> > really is, but 0.8 + amarok didn't work out for me.
> >
> > GStreamer is a flexible media framework and can actually output to
> > alsa and oss (and esd and arts, I think). Here is a good article about
> > it (pre 0.8): http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5648&page=1
>
> Will any of these systems pipe the audio chain from the machines where
> the audio programs are running through the X connection to the machine
> where the user is sitting?
>
> -- hendrik

I don't think gstreamer does (maybe with a plugin). ESD (Enlightened
Sound Demon) and NAS (Network Audio System) do network audio. There is
a new project called MAS (Multimedia Application Server) that is
connected to x.org, but I don't know how mature it is right now. To my
surprise arts apparently can do network audio but I have never hear of
anyone using it.