Re: gstreamer, esd, arts, and other black magic

On 3/3/06, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
> I've never used esd or arts since I switched my desktop to Debian about a
> year ago.  I've always used just plain ALSA, and it's always worked great.
> For GNOME, you can use GConf to set the outputsink to use the alsasink, and
> in KDE you can simply select it in kcontrol.  I really don't know what
> Firefox uses, or how it decides, but I've never had to change anything on
> it.

I always use plain Alsa as well, since I use fluxbox instead of KDE or Gnome.
Firefox does not have anything to do with sound directly, the plugins
handle that, and they will usually use whatever has been configured
for the desktop.

GStreamer is going to replace esd and probably arts as well (I don't
think they have a final decision yet). I don't know how good 0.10
really is, but 0.8 + amarok didn't work out for me.

GStreamer is a flexible media framework and can actually output to
alsa and oss (and esd and arts, I think). Here is a good article about
it (pre 0.8): http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5648&page=1