Re: environment for viewing/creating ANSI art?

Chris Roddy wrote:
> Based on what I could find on Google, these are usually intended for the
> so-called "extended ASCII" 8-bit character set that was used on IBM PC's
> and compatible systems running DOS.

You probably want one of these:

xfonts-terminus-dos - Fixed-width fonts for DOS encodings
xfonts-dosemu - VGA font for the DOS Emulator

If you want to use the console, 'man consolechars'.  'apropos console' for
other relevant commands.

You may also be interested in these packages:

aa3d - ASCII art stereogram generator
aewan - ASCII-art Editor Without A Name
artwiz-cursor - artwiz futuristic mouse cursor for x11
ascii - interactive ASCII name and synonym chart
asciijump - Small and funny ASCII-art game about ski jumping
aview - A high quality ASCII art image viewer and video player
bb - ASCII-art demo based on AAlib
libaa1 - ascii art library
libaa1-dev - ascii art library, development kit
msc - Generates simple ASCII message sequence charts
overkill - bloody 2D action deathmatch-like game in ascii-art
textdraw - Tool to draw/modify/move geometric figures & text for ASCII art
xfonts-mona - proportional fonts for 2ch ASCII art

--
John Hasler