Re: environment for viewing/creating ANSI art?

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:37:21PM -0500, Chris Roddy wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I would like to set up an environment on my Debian system that is
> suitable for viewing and creating ANSI art, specifically the sort that
> was popular on bulletin board systems in the 90's.
>
> Based on what I could find on Google, these are usually intended for the
> so-called "extended ASCII" 8-bit character set that was used on IBM PC's
> and compatible systems running DOS. (code page 437? please correct me if
> I am wrong).

[...]

> I haven't seen any problem with the escape sequences for character color
> or cursor positioning, so I am led to believe that this is simply a
> matter of finding the right combination of locale, character encoding,
> and terminal or console font.
>
> If anyone has recommendations for configuration (or other software to
> look into) I would be very grateful.

The "dosemu" package includes the font that you want -- the very same
one that came on the IBM-PC, with all the line-drawing glyphs and such.

The other problem is colors.  I know that the 'rxvt' xterm clone allows
each ANSI color to be set to an arbitrary RGB value using X resources.
I don't know what the proper settings are, but I would not be surprised
if the dosemu documentation was helpful in this respect.  Unfortunately,
rxvt does not support blinking.