Re: ready to use debian or ubuntu laptop reccomendations?

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

Britton Kerin wrote:

I would like to buy my non-linux girlfriend a ready to use laptop with:
     wireless scan, falling back to CAT5 DHCP
   open office
   CD ROM that automounts
   SD card reader that automounts
   working sound card
   reasonable memory and disk
   working video acceleration (at least a bit)

Unfortunately, my personal experience is that your requirements won't work out of the box. You may be lucky and find a laptop that supports the hardware you require, but you still need to set it up yourself. I've been having reasonably good luck with my expensive ThinkPad, but wireless, automounting, the modem don't work out of the box. With debian, eg. you manually have to add your user to the cdrom and audio and video groups to fully use your cdrom/dvd.

And I found that I had to add my wife to the dialup group, even though we have DSL and do not use a modem, in order to access the USB ports because /dev/ttyUSBxx seem to require it.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com