Re: copying a 12GB file

On Wed, March 1, 2006 11:04 am, Mike McCarty wrote:
> . wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I copy a 12GB file at reasonable speed over a 1000Mbit ethernet
connection from one computer (mailserver) to another (SAMBA file server or
my workstation) without going to lengths like installing an FTP server or
the like on the mailserver?

>> File size limit is 2GB with smbmount; NFS will take about 14 hours(!)
because copying fails after about 1--2 GB with an I/O error unless using
sync mode.

> Why does it fail? You have some sort of hardware problem, presumably.

I was thinking there might be something else at work too, perhaps a
configuration issue instead of (or inaddition to) a hardware problem?

I regularly transfer ~9GB files across my [100mbit] network from a Sarge
server to any number of Linux workstations as well as a Windows MCE set top
box.  Everything is stored on Samba shares using CIFS.  I've never gotten any
errors and my transfer times are usually very reasonable.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for
Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other
Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.