Re: Debian 3.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 2800 Server

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:56:01PM -0500, Yu,Glen [Ontario] wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm plan on installing Debian 3.1 (2.4.27 kernel) on a Dell PE2800 server soon (just waiting for a few more pieces of equip. to arrive) and while I have used Debian a little bit in the past, I've never installed in on a server before.  I was hoping somebody who has done this before can give me some tips/info on the following:

	1) does/will Debian have issues if I use the hw RAID controller on the Dell server?

	2) the server will have dual Xeon processors and 8GB of RAM, does Debian suppor this? (I've read in some places that Debian doesn't support > 4GB of RAM, etc. but I haven't been able to get a definite answer to that from googling)

Both of your questions are pretty much entirely dependent on the kernel you use, and shouldn't be too specific to debian. The 2.6 kernel might be more compatible with some newer hardware than the 2.4 kernel, but you might simply have to compile your own kernel if things don't work out of the box.

As far as large memory support, I am pretty sure debian's kernel has this enabled, but I've never had a machine I could test that on.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/