Re: Installing DVD-drive (ATAPI) -- replaces cdrom drive / Help needed.

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:11:04 +0100
Søren Christensen <severino@ulvedalen.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:49:27PM +0100, Søren Christensen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just installed a DVD-burner. It replaces a cdrom-drive. It works,
> > I can mount a cdrom as I could before, and I have copied a DVD (movie)
> > with k3b.
> >
> > When I look in /dev/ I do not see any dvd-devices. What shall I do to
> > acces this drive as a DVD-rom, and be able to burn DVDs
> >
> > /severino
> >

> Perhaps it's not that polite asking again, I know you're all busy, like
> I am.
>
> Where can I find a Howto on installation of a DVD-RW-drive?
>
> When booting it is recognized as drive hdc as a CD/DVD-rom. Can i manually create
> device-files in /dev/ and sym-links to /media/ -- or what is the process
> to make part of my system.

what does show up in /dev? are there any symlinks to /dev/hdc at all?

you might look into http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html as it may help you here.

> I can mount a DVD-movie, but xine wont play it.

well, that's probably a completely different problem.

xine dvd://<path-to-dvd-drive> I think is what you need, and IIRC you don't need to mount it, just /dev/dvd or /dev/hdc in your case might do it.

hth